Dr. Erika Kokkinos was about to graduate from EM residency.
She loved clinical medicine but when she thought about the future, she saw herself working shift after shift, being sleep-deprived, and experiencing burnout.
While her co-residents were applying for fellowships or jobs, she wondered – what’s my niche? What’s my thing? What do I want to do next?
Whether you’re fresh out of residency or have been attending for a while, I think we’ve all asked ourselves these questions.
That’s why you’ll want to watch our latest chat with Dr. Kokkinos, an EM physician, currently living and practicing in Wales.
Watch the vlog below!
You’ll learn about:
- The question she asked her mentors and herself
- Why she became “selfish” after residency
- How she worked through the hiccups in getting licensed in the UK
- What it’s like to practice in Wales and how it compares to the US
- How she’s maintaining her license in the US and UK
- What it means to be a registrar
- What she needed to learn to feel comfortable practicing in the UK
- The joys of living in Wales, and the challenges
- What she has learned about herself through this process
- Her advice for physicians looking to move abroad
Now I’d love to hear from you!
What’s your biggest “aha” or takeaway from this chat? Let me know in the comments below!
👉 Not a Hippocratic Adventures Insider? Sign up for our weekly email here and be in the know about everything related to moving abroad!
Rooting for you,
PS: If you want to learn more about medical registration in the UK, check out our Ultimate Guide to Practicing Medicine in the UK.